The Farmington Nature Park land originally belonged to George Wesley Johnson (1810-1889), founder of Farmington, from around 1837 until 1892. Then, local surveyor and farmer Enos Calvin Smith (1854-1917) and his wife, Thursa Cordelia Smith (1863-1944), purchased the acreage from Johnson’s heirs. Enos and Cordelia did not live on the property instead, used the land for one of their farms where tenant farmers, sharecroppers, or day laborers cultivated 29 acres of corn, hay, and oats, as well as 12 fruit trees. One of Enos and Cordelia’s grandsons, Louis Calvin Smith, son of Early C and Blonza Holleman Smith, was born in Richmond , Virginia and lived in Apex, North Carolina for most of his life. He was a surveyor and real estate broker. Louis and his wife, Martha Smith, purchased over 60 acres of the family property in 2006 and conveyed it to the Farmington Community Association in 2007. Louis’ wish was that the land be preserved, not developed, and that it would be open as a public park where kids could play as he did when it was his grandfather’s farm and that it would be open for everyone of all ages to enjoy. Sadly, Mr. Smith Passed away in January 31, 2008 and has not been able to see the progress being made in establishing the Farmington Nature Park, but the donation he and his wife, Martha, gave to the Farmington Community will long be remembered.